« ENSURE SUSTAINABLE PRODUCTION AND CONSUMPTION PATTERNS »
Ensure that people everywhere have the relevant information and awareness for sustainable development and lifestyles in harmony with nature.
70% of youths in Canada are aware of environmental issues, a large number compared to other countries. Canada ranks sixth in the world for awareness of environmental problems.
Source: UNICEF Canada (2017). Oh Canada! Our Kids Deserve Better.
SINCE 2001, THE QUEBEC EDUCATION PROGRAM HAS BEEN THE OFFICIAL MINISTERIAL GUIDE TO THE ESSENTIAL KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED IN QUEBEC EDUCATION. FOR THE FIRST TIME, THE MINISTRY NOW INCLUDES SIGNIFICANT COVERAGE OF ENVIRONMENTAL AND SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT ISSUES IN THE PROGRAM.
Regarding environment and consumption, the goal is to encourage students to develop an active relationship with their environment while maintaining a critical attitude toward environment management, technological development and consumer goods.
THE PROGRAM’S DEVELOPMENT PATHS ARE:
- PRESENCE IN THE ENVIRONNEMENT (PRESCHOOL AND PRIMARY) OR UNDERSTANDING OF THE ENVIRONMENT (SECONDARY)
- BUILDING A VIABLE ENVIRONMENT FOCUSED ON SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT
- CONSUMPTION STRATEGIES AND THE RESPONSIBLE USE OF GOODS AND SERVICES
- AWARENESS OF THE SOCIAL, ECONOMIC AND ETHICAL ASPECTS OF CONSUMPTION
LEARNING ABOUT ENVIRONMENTAL ISSUES AT SCHOOL
The school network includes, 2,686 educational establishments that all adhere to the Quebec Education Program. It includes content to raise preschool, elementary and high school students' awareness of environmental issues.
- Out of a total of 108,132 children aged 4 and 5 and attending preschool in Quebec, 23,922 attend a school in Montréal, 4,730 in Laval, and 20,446 in Montérégie.
- Out of 485,156 children attending primary school in Quebec, 111,349 attend a school in Montréal, 25,527 in Laval and 94,716 in Montérégie.
- Out of 403,890 teenagers attending secondary school in Quebec, 96,993 attend a school in Montréal, 20,763 in Laval and 76,914 in Montérégie.